REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The fuel system is under pressure even when the fuel pump is not in operation. Always relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing the system. Also, wrap a clean cloth around the fuel connection when loosening to catch any fuel spray from residual pressure and take precautions to avoid the risk of fire.
- Remove the storage compartment located behind the driver's seat and detach the fuel pump connector. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely.
- Remove the pump bracket clamp bolt.
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the fuel pump and plug the lines. Make a note of where each hose connects.
- Remove the fuel pump from its bracket.
- Position the fuel pump in its bracket. Unplug, then connect the fuel lines to their proper fittings.
- Install the pump bracket clamp bolt, then lower the vehicle.
- Attach the fuel pump connector and install the storage compartment.
See Figure 1
- Lift up the rear mat.
- Unfasten and remove the fuel pump cover.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure by running the engine and disengaging the fuel pump electrical connector.
- Disconnect and plug the main fuel and fuel return hoses. Make a note of where each hose connects.
- Unfasten the retaining screws and remove the fuel pump from the tank.
- Install the fuel pump into the fuel tank and fasten the retaining screws.
- Connect the main fuel hose (labeled A in the illustration) to the A fitting on the pump. Do the same for the B hose. Secure the hoses with the hose clips and make sure they are tight.
- Attach the pump's electrical connector.
- Install the fuel pump cover and reposition the rear mat.
See Figure 2
- Relieve the fuel system pressure, as previously described.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the main fuel hose from the main fuel line.
- Connect a suitable fuel pressure gauge.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Connect the terminals of the yellow check connector with a jumper wire (see illustration). Turn the ignition switch ON to operate the fuel pump.
Check that the fuel pressure is within the following specifications:Fuel Pump Pressure:
1984-85-49.8-71.1 psi (343-490 kPa)