Each wheel is equipped with a magnetic sensor mounted a fixed distance from a toothed ring which rotates with the wheel. The sensors are replaceable but not interchangeable; each must be fitted to its correct location. The toothed rings are replaceable although disassembly of the hub or axle shaft is required.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel.
- Unplug the connector. Remove the mounting bolts/nuts and remove the sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the bolts at the sensor to 12-16 ft. lbs. (16-22 Nm).
- Working from under the hood, unplug the ABS speed sensor electrical connector.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove the tire and wheel.
- Remove the two nuts and the ABS sensor wire bracket from the body.
- Remove the two nuts and remove the speed sensor wire clamp from the strut bracket.
- Remove the grommet and draw out the speed sensor wire from the engine compartment.
- Remove the bolt attaching the speed sensor wire clamp to the knuckle.
- Remove the mounting bolt and remove the ABS speed sensor.
- Install the ABS speed sensor with its mounting bolt and tighten to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
- Check the clearance between the wheel speed sensor and the sensor rotor. Clearance is 0.012-0.043 in. (0.3-1.1 mm). If clearance is not within specifications, replace the ABS sensor or the sensor rotor as necessary.
- Install the speed sensor wire clamp to the steering knuckle with the bolt. Bolt torque is 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
- Feed the ABS speed sensor wire into the engine compartment. Reinstall the grommet.
- Install the wire clamp to the strut bracket with the two nuts and install the wire clamp to body bracket with the two nuts. Tighten all the nuts to 70-95.4 in. lbs. (7.9-10.7 Nm).
- Reinstall the tire and wheel and safely lower the vehicle.
- Engage the speed sensor electrical connector.
- Unplug the speed sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the bolts attaching the sensor wire clamps to the body and the strut assembly.
- Remove the speed sensor mounting bolt and remove the sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Mounting bolt and wire clamp mounting bolts are tightened to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).