The park/neutral safety switch also functions as the reverse light switch.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 12
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Block the wheels and apply the parking brake. Place the gear shift in NEUTRAL.
- As necessary for access, remove the resonance chamber, fresh air duct and air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the spring pin and clip and disconnect the shift cable or rod at the transaxle and the switch manual lever.
- Remove the manual shaft nut, lockwasher and lever.
As a precaution, make a matchmark on the shaft, manual lever and the switch assembly.
- Remove the switch mounting bolts and the switch.
- Disconnect the neutral safety switch connector.
- Rotate the manual shaft to N .
- Turn the neutral safety switch so the neutral mark is in line with the flat, straight surfaces on either side of the manual shaft.
- Loosely tighten the switch bolts and adjust the switch. Tighten the bolts to 70-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Install the manual shaft nut, lockwasher and lever. Torque to 24-33 ft. lbs. (32-46 Nm).
- Connect the neutral safety switch electrical connector.
- Connect the shift cable at the transaxle. Install the spring pin and clip.
- If removed, install the resonance chamber, fresh air duct and air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 13
- Place the transaxle selector lever in the neutral position.
- Loosen the switch mounting bolts.
- Remove the screw on the switch body and move the switch so that the screw hole is aligned with the small hole inside of the switch. Check the alignment by inserting a small pin (0.079 in. or 2mm for all models except Millenia, which uses a 0.13 in. or 4mm pin) in the hole.
- Tighten the mounting bolts and remove the pin.
- Install the screw to the switch body and tighten.
- Check the adjustment by trying to start the engine in all gears. It should only start in Park and Neutral.