REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On MX-3 and 1990-94 323/Protege, remove the battery and the diagnostic connector.
- On 1993-98 626/MX-6/Probe, remove the evaporative canister.
- If so equipped, disconnect the hose from the brake master cylinder reservoir and plug the reservoir port.
- Remove the hydraulic line from the master cylinder using a tubing wrench.
- Remove the mounting nuts and remove the master cylinder and gasket.
- Install the master cylinder with a new gasket. Tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) on all except MX-3. On MX-3, tighten the nuts to 8.7 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Attach the hydraulic line and tighten the fitting with the tubing wrench.
- If equipped, remove the plug from the brake master cylinder reservoir and connect the hose.
- Install the remaining components in the reverse of removal. Bleed the air from the system.