REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transaxle.
- Gradually loosen the clutch pressure plate bolts, in a criss-cross pattern. Support the pressure plate and remove the bolts. Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc.
- Inspect the pilot bearing. If it is worn or damaged and does not turn easily by hand, remove it using a puller/slide hammer.
- Check the flywheel surface for scoring, cracks or burning and machine or replace, as necessary.
- Install holder tool 49 E011 1A0 or equivalent, to keep the flywheel from turning. Loosen the flywheel bolts evenly and gradually in a criss-cross pattern. Remove the flywheel.
- Install holder tool 49 F011 101 or equivalent, to keep the flywheel from turning. Remove the locknut. Remove the flywheel, using a suitable puller and remove the key from the eccentric shaft.
- Inspect the clutch release bearing for wear. Replace it if it sticks or does not turn easily.
- Inspect the release fork for wear or damage and replace as necessary.
- Lubricate the release fork fingers and pivot with molybdenum grease and install in the release fork boot.
- Install the clutch release bearing on the release fork.
- If removed, install a new pilot bearing in the flywheel, using a suitable installation tool.
- Make sure the flywheel mounting surface and the crankshaft or eccentric shaft mounting surfaces are clean. Remove any old sealant from the flywheel bolt hole threads and the flywheel bolts.
- Install the flywheel.
- Apply sealant to the flywheel bolt threads and install them hand tight. Install the flywheel holding tool. Tighten the bolts, in a criss-cross pattern, to specification.
- Apply a small amount of molybdenum grease to the clutch disc splines and install the clutch disc on the flywheel, spring side toward the transaxle. Install a suitable alignment tool in the pilot bearing to position the clutch disc.
- Install the clutch pressure plate, aligning the dowel holes with the flywheel dowels. Install the pressure plate bolts and gradually tighten, in a criss-cross pattern to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm). Remove the alignment tool.
- Install the transaxle and lower the vehicle.
See Figure 12
- Measure the distance from the upper surface of the pedal pad to the carpet.
The distance should be as follows:
MX-3 and 1990-94 23/Protege: 7.72-8.03 in. (196-204mm)
- If the distance is not as specified, loosen the locknut on the stopper bolt or switch.
- Turn the switch or bolt until the distance is correct, then tighten the locknut.
- Depress the clutch pedal by hand until resistance is felt. The free-play should be 0.03-0.13 in. (0.7-3.4mm).
- If the free-play is not correct, loosen the clutch master cylinder pushrod locknut and turn the pushrod to adjust.