See Figures 1 through 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the distributor cap and position it aside, leaving the ignition wires connected.
- On SOHC engines, remove the air intake hose from it's position next to the distributor.
- Disconnect the distributor electrical connector(s) from the side of the distributor.
- Using a wrench on the crankshaft pulley, rotate the crankshaft to position the No. 1 piston on Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke; the crankshaft pulley mark should align with the timing indicator and the distributor rotor should point towards the No 1. spark plug wire tower position of the cap.
- Using chalk or paint, mark the position of the distributor housing on the cylinder head. Also mark the position of the distributor rotor in relation to the distributor housing.
- Remove the distributor hold-down bolt(s).
- On distributors attached to the end of the cylinder head (or inline with the camshaft), remove it by pulling it straight outward.
- On distributors attached to the side of the cylinder head (or perpendicular with the camshaft), slowly pull it outward while watching the rotor. These distributors are gear driven and as you remove it, the gears will unmesh inside the engine, causing the rotor to rotate. when the rotor stops moving, stop pulling outward. Re-align the distributor body-to-cylinder head matchmark (do not push it back in to do this, simply rotate the body to align the marks). Place a third mark indicating the new rotor position-to-distributor body relation. When installing the distributor, align this mark and the body-to-head mark to properly position the distributor.
- Inspect the O-ring on the distributor housing and replace it, if it is damaged or worn.
Engine Not Rotated
- Using engine oil, lubricate the O-ring.
- Install the distributor, aligning the marks that were made in Step 6 of the removal procedure. Be sure to engage the drive gear or tangs with the camshaft gear or slot in the camshaft.
- Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt(s).
- Connect the electrical connector(s) and, if equipped, air intake hose. Install the distributor cap.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check or adjust the ignition timing. Refer to General Information & Maintenance .
- Disconnect the spark plug wire from the No. 1 cylinder spark plug. Remove the spark plug from the No. 1 cylinder and press a thumb over the spark plug hole.
- Using a wrench on the crankshaft pulley, rotate the crankshaft until pressure is felt at the spark plug hole, indicating the piston is approaching TDC on the compression stroke. Continue rotating the crankshaft until the crankshaft pulley mark aligns with the timing cover indicator.
- Place the distributor rotor in position so that