REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure applies to 4-wheel drive models only.
- Matchmark the front and rear U-joint with the companion flanges. Remove the bolts attaching the driveshaft to the rear companion flange.
- Remove the center support bearing bracket nuts, spacers and washers from the underbody.
- Make sure to mark each set of spacers and washers in relation to their original positions.
- Remove the bolts attaching the driveshaft to the front companion flange.
- Pull the driveshaft rearward and away from the transaxle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure that you align the matchmarks. Tighten the driveshaft flange bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) and the center support bracket nuts to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-51 Nm).
See Figure 1
Perform this procedure with the driveshaft removed from the car.
- Matchmark both the yoke and the driveshaft so that they can be returned to their original balancing position during assembly.
- Remove the bearing snaprings from the yoke.
- Use a hammer and a brass drift to drive in one of the bearing cups. Remove the cup which is protruding from the other side of the yoke.
- Remove the other bearing cups by pressing them from the spider.
- Withdraw the spider from the yoke.
- Examine the spider journals for rusting or wear. Check the bearing for smoothness or pitting.
The spider and bearing are replace as a complete assembly only.
- Check the seals and rollers for wear or damage.
- Pack the bearing cups with grease.
- Fit the rollers into the cups and install the dust seals.
- Place the spider in the yoke and them fit one of the bearing cups into its bore in the yoke.
- Press the bearing cup home, while guiding the spider into it, so that a snapring can be installed.
- Press-fit the other bearings into the yoke.
- Select a snapring to obtain minimum end-play of the spider. Use snaprings of the same thickness on both sides to center the spider.
When assembled, the U-joint should have a slight drag but should not bind. If it does bind, use different thickness snaprings. Selective fit snaprings are available in sizes ranging from 1.2mm to 1.4mm.
- Install the spider/yoke assembly and bearings into the driveshaft in the same manner as the spider was assembled to the yoke.
- Test the operation of the U-joint assembly. The spider should move freely with no binding.