REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Support the lower control arm with a jack.
- Remove the bolts or clips attaching the brake hose and/or ABS sensor harness to the strut.
- On vehicles equipped with the Automatic Adjusting Suspension (AAS), unplug the electrical connector and remove the actuator from the top of the strut.
- On 32-4 626/MX-6, when removing the left side strut, remove the ignition coil bracket.
- Paint alignment marks on the upper strut mounting block and strut tower, and on the lower strut mount-to-steering knuckle so the strut can be reinstalled in the same position.
- Remove the upper strut mounting block nuts and the strut-to-knuckle bolts and remove the strut assembly.
- Install the strut into the strut tower, aligning the paint marks made during removal. Install the mounting nuts and tighten to specifications.
- Install the strut-to-knuckle bolts and tighten to specifications.
- If equipped with AAS, install the actuator and engage the electrical connector.
- Install the clips or bolts attaching the brake hose and/or ABS sensor harness.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle. Check the front end alignment.
See Figures 10, 11 and 12
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is not equipped with AAS, remove the cap from the top of the strut.
- Install the strut securely in a vise with either aluminum or copper plates to protect the strut.
- Loosen the piston rod upper nut several turns but DO NOT REMOVE IT.
- Install the lower end of the strut in the vise and install a coil spring compressor. Compress the coil spring and remove the upper nut.
- Slowly release the coil spring tension.
- Remove the suspension support, dust seal, spring seat, spring insulators, coil spring and bumper.
- While pushing on the piston rod, make sure that the pull stroke is even and that there is no unusual noise or resistance. Also inspect for any oil leakage around the piston rod.
- Push the piston rod in and then release it. Make sure that the return rate is constant.
- If the shock absorber does not operate as described, replace it.
- Install the strut assembly into a vise.
- Install the bound stopper and dust boot onto the piston rod.
- Install the coil spring and compress the coil spring with the spring compressor.
- Install the rubber seat, the spring upper seat, the bearing and the mounting block. Make sure that the spring upper seat notched portion is facing inward and tighten the piston rod upper nut.
- Remove the spring compressor from the strut. Secure the upper mounting block in the vise. Tighten the nut to specification.
- Make sure that the spring is well seated in the upper seats.
- Install the strut to the vehicle.