REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the front wheels.
- Remove the cotter pins from both steering tie rod ends and remove the nuts.
- Use Mazda special tie rod press tool 49 0118 850C or equivalent and press the tie rod out of the knuckle arm.
- Remove the set plate from the firewall.
- Remove the fixing bolt from the steering shaft to steering gear pinion shaft and separate the shaft from the steering gear.
- Remove the steering gear mounting nuts and remove the steering gear to the right of the vehicle.
- Install the steering gear to the vehicle and install the mounting nuts in the order shown. Tighten the nuts to 28-38 ft. lbs. (37-52Nm).
- Connect the steering shaft to the steering gear pinion shaft. Tighten the bolt/nut to 13-20 ft. lbs. (18-27Nm).
- Install the set plate to the firewall.
- Install the tie rod ends to the knuckle arm and tighten the nuts to 31-42 ft. lbs. (42-57Nm). Install the cotter pins.
- Install the wheels to the vehicle, lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable. Check the front end alignment.