REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the front wheels.
- Remove the cotter pins from both steering tie rod ends and remove the nuts.
- Use Mazda special tie rod press tool 49 0118 10C or equivalent and press the tie rod out of the knuckle arm.
- Disconnect the pressure line and return pipe from the steering gear. Remove the set plate from the firewall.
- Remove the fixing bolt from the steering shaft to steering gear pinion shaft and separate the shaft from the steering gear.
- Disconnect the manual trans shifter linkage if necessary.
- Remove the steering gear mounting nuts and remove the steering gear to the right of the vehicle.
- Install the steering gear to the vehicle and install the mounting nuts/bolts. Tighten the nuts to 28-38 ft. lbs. (37-52Nm).
- Connect the steering shaft to the steering gear pinion shaft. Tighten the bolt/nut to the specified torque.
- Connect the manual trans shift linkage if disconnected. Install the set plate to the firewall.
- Connect the pressure line and return hose to the steering gear.
- Install the tie rod ends to the knuckle arm and tighten the nuts to 31-42 ft. lbs. (42-57Nm). Install the cotter pins.
- Install the wheels to the vehicle, lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable. Bleed the power steering system and check the front end alignment.