REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect and plug the hoses at the pump. If equipped, disconnect the pressure switch connector.
- Remove the pump drive belt.
- On all except 323, Protege and MX-3, it is necessary to remove the pump pulley before removing the pump. Hold the pulley with tool 49 W023 585A or equivalent, or if possible, insert a small prybar through 1 of the holes in the pulley to hold it. Remove the pulley nut and pulley.
- Support the pump, remove the mounting bolts and lift out the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the pulley nut to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm). Adjust the belt tension and fill and bleed the system.
- Check the fluid level. Add fluid, as required.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Turn the steering wheel full cycle, in both directions, 5 times with the engine OFF .
- Recheck the fluid level again and add, as required.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until the fluid level stabilizes.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Start the engine and allow to warm up at idle. Turn the steering wheel full cycle, in both directions, 5 times with the engine running.
- Check that the fluid is not foamy and the level has not dropped.
- Add fluid, if necessary and repeat Steps 7 and 8.