- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
- Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
- At the central junction box (SJB), located below the left side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse(s) from the SJB. See the Owner-s Manual.
- Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
Turn the ignition OFF.
CAUTIONTo avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.
The front impact severity sensor is located on the radiator support bracket.
The first row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.
The second row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located on the C-pillar.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.
1995-98 B-Series Pick-up
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery.
- Wait one minute. This time is required for the back-up power supply in the air bag diagnostic monitor to completely drain. The system is now disarmed.
If you are disarming the system with the intent of testing the system, do not! The SRS is a sensitive, complex system and should only be tested or serviced by a qualified automotive technician. Also, specific tools are needed for SRS testing.