The kickdown cable is self-adjusting over a tolerance range of 1 in. (25mm). If the cable requires readjustment, reset the by depressing the semi-circular metal tab on the self-adjuster mechanism and pulling the cable forward (toward the front of the vehicle) to the "Zero" position setting. The cable will then automatically readjust to the proper length when kicked down.
Neutral Safety/Back-Up Light Switch
4r44e, 4r55e And 5r55e Transmissions
To adjust the Transmission Range (TR) sensor requires a special Transmission Range Sensor Alignment Tool T97L-70010-AH, or equivalent.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Block the rear wheels and apply the parking brake.
- Place the transmission shift control lever in the Neutral (N) position.
- Remove the nut securing the transmission control manual lever to the TR sensor.
- Loosen the two TR sensor retaining bolts.
- Align the TR sensor slots using the Transmission Range Sensor Alignment Tool T97L-70010-AH, or equivalent.
- Tighten the TR sensor retaining bolts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (9-12 Nm).
- Install the nut retaining the transmission manual control lever to the TR sensor. Tighten to 12-16 ft. lbs. (16-22 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle. Leave the wheels blocked and the parking brake applied.
- Check the TR sensor operation. The engine should only start in Park (P) or Neutral (N).
No adjustment is necessary or possible on the A4LD transmission Park Neutral Position (PNP) switch.Na4a-Hl (Hydraulically Controlled) Transmission
- Position the park/neutral switch over the manual shaft lever and install the mounting bolts.
- Move the manual shaft lever to the N position.
- Remove the screw on the switch body and move the switch so the screw hole is aligned with the small hole inside the switch. Check their alignment by inserting a 0.079 in. (2.0mm) diameter pin through the holes.
- Tighten the switch mounting bolts to 43-61 inch lbs. (4.9-6.9 Nm).
- Install the screw in the park/neutral switch body and reconnect the wiring harness connector.
- Reinstall the control linkage.
- Safely lower the vehicle, reconnect the negative battery cable, and check for proper operation.
- Install the park/neutral switch over the manual shaft.
- Make sure the transmission manual shaft lever is positioned at the L position (fully forward). Turn the manual shaft lever fully rearward, then return it 2 notches ( N position).
- Insert a 0.157 inch (4.0mm) pin through the holes of the switch and the manual shaft lever.
- Tighten the switch mounting bolts to 22-35 inch lbs. (2.5-3.9 Nm). Remove the pin.
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Reinstall the shift control linkage.
- Connect the negative battery cable, and check for proper operation.
Shift/Manual Linkage-Shift Select Indicator
To test the shift select indicator:
- Turn the engine OFF , apply the parking brake and place the transmission select lever in the OD (overdrive) position.
- Hang a 3 lb. (1.4Kg) weight on the select lever.
- Look at the selector indicator on the instrument panel. The pointer should be centered on the D within the overdrive (circle with a letter D in the middle) graphic. If it is not, adjust as follows.
To adjust the indicator:
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower steering column trim panel from the dash board.
- Remove the lower steering column shroud by removing the two securing screws.
- Lift off the upper steering column shroud.
- On 1996-98 vehicles, remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
- With the engine OFF and the parking brake set, move the transmission select lever into the overdrive position. Hang a 3 lb. (1.4Kg) weight on the lever.
- Turn the adjuster thumb wheel to properly position the pointer until it is centered on the overdrive graphic.
- If removed, install the ignition switch lock cylinder.
- Install the upper and lower steering column shrouds and the steering wheel.
- Remove the weight from the lever.
- Operate the shift select lever in all positions and ensure that the indicator pointer aligns with all of the position graphics.
Shift/Manual Linkage-Shift Select Lever
Before performing the linkage adjustment, confirm that the shift indicator is properly adjusted.
- Turn the vehicle OFF , block the rear wheels and engage the parking brake.
- From inside the vehicle, place the gear shift lever in the overdrive position (shown as a circle with the letter D in the middle). Hang a 3 lb. (1.4Kg) weight on the lever.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- From underneath, use a prytool to remove the shift control cable end from the transmission manual control lever ball stud.
- Unlock the cable adjuster body by pushing down on the two tangs and releasing the lock tab.
- Move the shift cable back and forth the full adjustment length four or five times to remove any accumulated dirt. Ensure that the adjuster body moves freely.
- Move the transmission manual control lever all the way rearward (counterclockwise) to its last position, then move it forward three detent positions. The transmission is now set in the overdrive position.
- Holding the cable end fitting, push it rearward until the fitting lines up with the lever ball stud. Connect the cable end to the ball stud.
- Push up on the lock tab to lock the adjuster body into position. Ensure that the locator tab is properly seated.
- Ensure that the shift cable is properly clipped to the floorpan and that is routed into the tunnel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Remove the weight from the gear select lever.
- After adjustment, check for Park (P) engagement. Start the engine and check all the lever positions for proper operation.