Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the clutch hydraulic system master cylinder from the clutch pedal and remove.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely.
- Remove the starter.
- Disconnect the hydraulic coupling at the transmission.
Clean the area around the hose and slave cylinder to prevent fluid contamination.
- Remove the transmission from the vehicle.
- Mark the assembled position of the pressure plate and cover the flywheel, to aid during re-assembly.
- Loosen the pressure plate and cover attaching bolts evenly until the pressure plate springs are expanded, and remove the bolts.
- Remove the pressure plate and cover assembly and the clutch disc from the flywheel. Remove the pilot bearing only for replacement.
- Position the clutch disc on the flywheel so that the Clutch Alignment Shaft Tool T74P-7137-K or equivalent can enter the clutch pilot bearing and align the disc.
- When reinstalling the original pressure plate and cover assembly, align the assembly and flywheel according to the marks made during the removal operations. Position the pressure plate and cover assembly on the flywheel, align the pressure plate and disc, and install the retaining bolts that fasten the assembly to the flywheel. Tighten the bolts to 15-25 ft. lbs. (21-35 Nm) in the proper sequence. Remove the clutch disc pilot tool.
- Install the transmission into the vehicle.
- Connect the coupling by pushing the male coupling into the slave cylinder.
- Connect the hydraulic clutch master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEIf the clutch disc and pressure plate are to be reinstalled, bolts must be removed evenly or permanent damage to the diaphragm spring will occur resulting in complete clutch release.
NOTEIf the parts are to be reused, index-mark the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel.
Negative battery cable
Bolts, clutch pressure plate and the clutch disc.
- Lubricate the transmission input shaft pilot bearing with front axle grease.
- Using a suitable press, press downward on the pressure plate fingers until the adjusting ring moves freely.
- Rotate the adjusting ring counterclockwise to compress the tension springs. Hold the adjusting ring in this position.
- Release the pressure on the fingers. The adjusting ring will stay in the reset position.
Position the clutch disc on the flywheel.
NOTEIf reusing the clutch pressure plate and flywheel, align the marks made during removal.
Align the clutch disc and the clutch pressure plate. Install the bolts and tighten in a star pattern sequence to 24 ft. lbs. (35Nm).
Install the transmission.