The air cleaner is a paper element type. The paper cartridge should be replaced every 30,000 miles, under normal conditions. Under dusty or severe conditions, the filter should be inspected frequently and changed as necessary.
Check the air filter more often if the vehicle is operated under severe dusty conditions and replace it as necessary.
Removal & Installation
The B Series Pick-up, Navajo and MPV vehicles use the square panel air cleaner housing. The square panel type retains the housing cover by bolts or, on later models, snap clips.
- Loosen the clamp that secures the intake hose assembly to the air cleaner.
- If necessary, unplug the MAF (Mass Air Flow) and/or IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor electrical connector from the air cleaner housing.
Some air cleaner assemblies will have enough "give" in the air inlet pipe and sensor wiring harnesses to allow filter replacement without removing or disconnecting these items.
- Disconnect the hose and inlet tube from the air cleaner.
- Remove the screws or snap clips attaching the air cleaner cover.
- Seperate the lid from the housing base.
- Remove the air filter.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't overtighten the hose clamps! A torque of 12-15 inch lbs. is sufficient.