Removal & Installation
2.3L And 2.5L Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Rotate the engine so that No. 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Check that the timing marks are aligned on the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys. An access plug is provided in the cam belt cover so that the camshaft timing can be checked without removal of the cover or any other parts. Set the crankshaft to TDC by aligning the timing mark on the crank pulley with the TDC mark on the belt cover. Look through the access hole in the belt cover to make sure that the timing mark on the cam drive sprocket is lined up with the pointer on the inner belt cover.
Always turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation. Backward rotation may cause the timing belt to jump time, due to the arrangement of the belt tensioner.
- Drain cooling system. Remove the upper radiator hose as necessary. Remove the fan blade and water pump pulley bolts.
- Loosen the alternator retaining bolts and remove the drive belt from the pulleys. Remove the water pump pulley.
- Loosen and position the power steering pump mounting bracket and position it aside.
- Remove the timing belt outer cover retaining bolts and any interlocking tabs and remove the cover.
- Install the timing belt cover.
- Install the water pump pulley and fan blades. Install upper radiator hose if necessary. Refill the cooling system.
- Position the alternator and drive belts, then adjust and tighten it to specifications.
- Connect the negative battery cable.