Door Alignment & Adjustment
Loosen the hinge-to-door bolts for lateral adjustment only. Loosen the hinge-to-body bolts for both lateral and vertical adjustments.
- Determine which hinge bolts are to be loosened and back them out just enough to allow movement.
- To move the door safely, use a padded pry bar. When the door is in the proper position, tighten the bolts to specification and check the door operation. There should be no binding or interference when the door is closed and opened.
- Door closing adjustment can also be affected by the position of the lock striker plate. Loosen the striker plate bolts and move the striker plate just enough to permit proper closing and locking of the door.
Removal & Installation
- If replacing the door with a stripped unit, remove all usable components from the old door.
- If removing the rear door (Explorer), remove the scuff plate and center panel trim panel. Remove the upper and lower hinge access cover plate if equipped, and matchmark the hinge-to-body and hinge-to-door location. Support the door either on jackstands or have somebody hold it for you.
- Remove the lower hinge-to-door bolts.
- Remove the upper hinge-to-door bolts and lift the door off the hinges.
- If the hinges are being replaced, remove them from the door pillar.
- If they were removed, install the hinges in the same position as before removal. Tighten the bolts finger tight.
- Position the door on the hinges and install the bolts finger tight.
- Install all previously removed hardware to the new door before adjustments are made.
- Install the trim panel and scuff plate if they were removed.
- Adjust the door and tighten all retaining bolts.
- Install the hinge access cover plates.