Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Wheel and tire assembly
- Use a coil spring compressor to compress the coil spring.
- Remove the cotter pin and castellated nut.
- Separate the lower ball joint from the front wheel spindle.
- Position the front wheel spindle out of the way and remove the coil spring.
Install the coil spring in the lower arm.
WARNINGAlways install the cotter pin into the lower ball joint castellated nut from outboard to inboard. Failure to do so will result in damage to the wheel and tire assembly.
- Install the lower ball joint.
- Install the front stabilizer bar link nut.
- Remove the Coil Spring Compressor.
- Install the front shock absorber and the two lower nuts.
- Install the upper shock absorber bushing and nut/washer assembly.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the front disc brake rotor shield.
- Remove the front shock absorber.
- Remove the front sway bar link nut.
- Compress the front coil spring using a spring comressor tool.
- Remove the lower ball joint cotter pin and castle nut.
- Using a pitman arm puller or equivalent puller tool, separate the lower ball joint from the front wheel steering knuckle.
- Position the knuckle to one side and remove the coil spring.
- Install the coil spring (with spring compressor tool installed) into the lower control arm. Be sure that the end of the coil spring covers the first hole on the lower control arm and is not visible in the second hole.
- Install the front wheel spindle into the lower ball joint and install the castle nut. Tighten the castle nut to 83-113 ft. lbs. (113-153 Nm).
- Install a new cotter pin. Be sure to install the cotter pin with the loop of the pin pointing to the tire or damage to the tire could result.
- Install the front sway bar link nut and tighten to 15-21 ft. lbs. (21-29 Nm).
- Remove the coil spring compressor tool.
- Install the shock absorber.
- Install the front disc brake rotor shield.
- Install the front wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.