Outer Tie Rod End
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle, as necessary.
- Remove and discard the outer tie rod end retaining nut cotter pin.
- Remove the nut and install a puller to separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
- Hold the tie rod end with a wrench and loosen the jam nut.
- Mark the exact position of the outer tie rod on the inner tie rod threads. Grip the tie rod end with a pair of pliers and unscrew the outer end from the inner tie rod.
- Ensure that the inner tie rod threads are clean.
- Thread the outer tie rod end onto the inner tie rod to the same location as marked earlier.
- Install the out tie rod end stud into the steering knuckle then install and tighten the attaching nut to 57-77 ft. lbs. (77-104 Nm). Install new cotter pins, advancing (tightening) the nut as required. NEVER loosen the nut to install the cotter pin.
- Tighten the jam nut, while holding the outer tie rod, to 50-68 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm).
- Have the toe alignment checked and adjusted by a professional shop.