Removal & Installation
1.8L (Bp) Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Install the pulley boss on the crankshaft and tighten the bolt.
Turn the crankshaft until the timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets are aligned. The pin on the pulley boss must face upward. Hold the crankshaft pulley boss with a suitable tool and remove the pulley lockbolt, being careful not to rotate the crankshaft. Remove the crankshaft pulley boss.
NOTEProtect the tensioner with a shop towel before prying on it. Do not rotate the crankshaft after the timing belt has been removed.
- Mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt. Loosen the tensioner lockbolt and pry the tensioner outward. Tighten the lockbolt with the tensioner spring fully extended. Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the tensioner and spring. If necessary, remove the idler pulley.
Inspect the belt for wear, peeling, cracking, hardening or signs of oil contamination. Inspect the tensioner for free and smooth rotation. Check the tensioner spring free length; it should not exceed 2.31 inch (59.2mm). Inspect the sprocket teeth for wear or damage. Replace parts, as necessary.
- Install the crankshaft sprocket bolt and temporarily tighten.
- If removed, install the idler pulley and tighten the bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (51 Nm).
- Install the tensioner and tensioner spring. Pry the tensioner outward and temporarily tighten the tensioner lockbolt with the tensioner spring fully extended.
- Be sure the crankshaft sprocket timing mark is aligned with the mark on the oil pump housing. Be sure the camshaft sprocket timing marks are aligned with the marks on the seal plate. Refer to the illustration for timing mark alignment.
- Install the timing belt so there is no looseness at the idler pulley side or between the camshaft sprockets. If reusing the old belt, be sure it is installed in the same direction of rotation.
- Temporarily install the pulley boss and lockbolt.
- Turn the crankshaft 2 turns clockwise and align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark. Face the pin on the pulley boss upright. Be sure the camshaft sprocket timing marks are aligned. If they are not, repeat the alignment steps.
Turn the crankshaft 1
turns clockwise and align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark with the tension set mark for proper belt tension adjustment. Remove the lockbolt and pulley boss.
- Be sure the crankshaft sprocket timing mark is aligned with the tension set mark. Loosen the tensioner lockbolt, and allow the spring to apply tension to the belt. Tighten the tensioner lockbolt to 37 ft. lbs. (51 Nm).
- Install the pulley boss and lockbolt.
- Turn the crankshaft 2 1 / 6 turns clockwise and be sure the timing marks are correctly aligned. Make sure the pin on the pulley boss is straight up.
- Apply approximately 22 lbs. (10 kg) pressure to the timing belt at a point midway between the camshaft sprockets. The belt should deflect 0.35-0.45 inch (9.0-11.5mm). If the deflection is not correct, repeat the alignment and tensioning procedure.
- Install the timing belt covers and tighten the bolts in sequence to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the valve cover and spark plugs, along with all other applicable components.
- Hold the pulley boss with a suitable tool, and tighten the lockbolt to 116-130 ft. lbs. (157-167 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
CAUTIONWhen installing the OCV valve, be careful not to damage the O-ring, if damaged it may cause leaking.
Crankshaft plate and pulley
OCV and tighten the bolts in the sequence illustrated
Install the oil pipe as follows:
- Oil pipe. Hold the frame of the OCV valve filter and install the OCV so it is aligned with the projected part on the flange end of the oil pipe. Coat the new washer with clean engine oil and temporarily install the upper and side oil pipe and position the pipe.
- A using several passes to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Tighten oil pipe bolts B using several passes to 61 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
- Tighten oil pipe bolts C using several passes to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- Tighten oil pipe bolts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 using several passes to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Tighten oil pipe bolt 5 using several passes to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
Tighten oil pipe bolt 6 using several passes to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
Install or connect the following: