Mazda6 And Mazdaspeed6 Models
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
NOTERefer the exploded view illustration for component locations and if applicable, their retainer torque specifications.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Discharge the refrigerant from the system.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Remove the dynamic chamber.
Remove the glove box as follows:
- Remove the damper clip.
- Bend the stoppers in to disengage them.
- Lower the glove box door and remove the clips by pulling straight out and remove the glove box.
- Remove the console as follows:
Remove the meter hood as follows:
- Remove the screws, pull the meter hood outwards and detach the column cover.
Remove the instrument cluster as follows:
- Lower the tilt steering wheel to its lowest point.
- Pull the steering wheel towards you.
- Remove the screws, connectors and cluster.
- Remove the column cover.
- Remove the lower panel as follows:
Remove the steering shaft as follows:
WARNINGHandling the air bag module improperly can accidentally operate (deploy) the air bag module, which may seriously injure you.
- Remove the air bag cover.
- Remove the bolt.
- Using a flathead screwdriver, pry out the connector stopper plate and unplug the connector.
- Remove the drivers side air bag module.
Remove the lockbolt.
WARNINGHandling the air bag module improperly can accidentally deploy the air bag module, which may seriously injure you.
Remove the locknut.
CAUTIONDo not try to remove the steering wheel by hitting the shaft with a hammer. The column will collapse.
- Set the vehicle in the straight-ahead position.
- Remove the steering wheel using a suitable puller.
- Remove the column cover.
- Remove the clock spring connector.
- Remove the screw.
- Remove the clock spring.
- Remove the combination switch.
- Remove the steering shaft.
- Remove the A-pillar trim as follows:
Remove the front scuff plates as follows:
- Pull the scuff plate upwards and disengage clips (B), pins (C and D) and tabs (E).
- Remove the scuff plate.
Remove the front side trims as follows:
- Partially pull back the seaming welt.
- Pull the trim outwards to disengage clip (A) and the stud bolt, then remove the trim.
Remove the side panels using a flat bladed pry tool to disengage the clips.
- If equipped with a wire type climate control unit, disconnect the wires for the front A/C unit as follows:
- Disconnect the dashboard wiring harness connectors.
Remove the dashboard bolts and pull the dashboard pins out from the body.
WARNINGWhen removing the dashboard, make sure to support the dashboard is properly supported to avoid injury and also to avoid damage to the dashboard.
- Remove the dashboard through the drivers side door.
- Remove the theft control module bolt, connector and the module.
- Disconnect the heater hose at the firewall.
Disconnect the block joint type pipes by grasping female side of the block with pliers or similar tool and holding firmly, then remove the connection bolt or nut.
Remove the heater core on Mazd6 models by removing or disconnecting the following:
Remove the heater core on Mazdspeed6 models by removing or disconnecting the following:
Installation is the reverse of removal, keep in mind the following:
Adjust the clock spring as follows:
CAUTIONIf the clock spring is not adjusted, the spring wire in the clock spring could over-wind and break when the steering wheel is turned. Always adjust the clock spring after installing it.
CAUTIONThe clock spring will break if over-wound. Do not forcibly turn the clock spring.
Set the front tires straight-ahead
Turn the clock spring clockwise until it stops
Tighten the steering shaft bolts A, nut B and nut C in that order.
If equipped with a wire type climate control unit, connect the wires for the front A/C unit as illustrated.
- Adjust the clock spring as follows: