Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
NOTERefer the exploded view illustration for component locations and if applicable, their retainer torque specifications.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable.
- Disconnect the brake hose.
- Remove the caliper bolts and the caliper.
- Remove the disc pads and shims.
- Clean the exposed area of the piston.
- Rotate the piston clockwise slowly using the tool shown to push the piston completely until the piston grooves are in the position shown in the figure.
- Install the caliper. Tighten the bolts to 20-25 Nm (14-18 ft. lbs.).
- Connect the brake hose and tighten to 21-29 Nm (15-21 ft. lbs.).
- Bleed the brake system.
- Install the parking brake cable. After installation the parking brake cable, verify that the operating lever returns to the stopper nut with the parking brake lever released.
Depress the brake pedal a few times and verify that the brakes do not drag
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
Caliper. Torque the caliper mounting bolts to 27-36 ft. lbs. (37-49 Nm) on Mazda6models, or 16-23 ft. lbs. (21-31 Nm) on Mazdaspeed6 models.
- Pump the brake pedal several times to seat the pads. Inspect the parking brake lever stroke and brake drag and adjust as necessary.