The Knock Sensor (KS) converts the vibration of the cylinder block into a voltage and outputs it. If there is a malfunction of the knock sensor, the voltage output will not change. The PCM checks whether the voltage output changes.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the sensor connector.
- Remove the installation bolt and sensor from the engine block.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position.
- Disconnect the knock sensor connector.
- Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the knock sensor terminal A and B. Standard value: 120-280 kohms.
- If within specifications, check connectors and wiring between the sensor and ECM/PCM. If ok, replace ECM/PCM.
If not within specifications, replace the knock sensor.