Removal & Installation
Handling the air bag module improperly can accidentally deploy the air bag module, which may seriously injure you. Read the service precautions in this Section before handling the air bag module.
For vehicles with DSC, if the negative battery cable or the steering angle sensor connector is disconnected, the stored initial position of the steering angle sensor will be cleared and the DSC will not operate properly, making the vehicle unsafe to drive. Perform the steering angle sensor initialization procedure after connecting the negative battery cable.
- Make sure the vehicle-s wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Disable the air bag system.
- Remove the air cleaner and air cleaner insulator.
Remove the air bag module, as shown in the accompanying illustration. To detach the connector, use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the connector stopper plate, then disconnect the connector.
WARNINGNever try to remove the steering wheel by hitting the shaft with a hammer. This will damage the steering column.
Remove the locknut, then use a suitable puller to remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the column cover.
- Remove the under cover.
- Remove the clock spring and combination switch, as follows:
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the tightening specifications in the accompanying illustration and the following steps.
WARNINGIf the clock spring is not adjusted, the spring wire in the clock spring could over-wind and break when the steering wheel is turned. Always adjust the clock spring after installing it.
Adjust the clock spring after installing it, as follows:
NOTEThe adjustment procedure is also specified on the caution label of the clock spring.
Make sure the vehicle-s front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
WARNINGThe clock spring will break if over-wound. Do not forcibly turn the clock spring.
- Turn the clock spring clockwise until it stops.
- From the stopped position, turn the clock spring counterclockwise 2 3/4 turns.
- Align the two marks.
- Make sure the vehicle-s front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
- Before installing the steering wheel, make sure the wheels are still in the straight-ahead position.
After installation, set the EPS system to the neutral position, as follows:
- Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position. (Steering wheel is within 45° to the left or right of center position.)
- Jack up both front tires so that there is no weight on them.
- Lower the jack until the front tires touch the ground. At this time, be careful not to touch the tires or the steering wheel.
Connect the WDS or equivalent to the DLC-2.
- Set to neutral by selecting the TRQ_S_CAL active command mode function.
- After setting to neutral, start the engine, rotate the steering wheel slowly in both directions within a range of 90°, and verify that the steering force does not differ in either directions.
- When you turn the ignition ON , make sure the air bag system warning light illuminates for about 6 seconds, and then goes out.