Inspection & Testing
- Remove the spark plug wire(s), as outlined earlier in this section.
- Inspect the spark plug wires for cracks, wear and/or damage and replace as necessary.
To measure the resistance of the spark plug wires, perform the following:
- Measure the resistance using a tester. The resistance should be 1-4 kilo-ohms at approximately 68°F (20°C).
- If the resistance does not fall within the specification, replace the spark plug wire.
Removal & Installation
Incorrect installation of the spark plug wires may result in damage to other electrical components, or in a ground fault due to damage to the plug wire. Always install the spark plug wires in the same location, position and routing as they were in during removal.
Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the battery cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air hose.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the ignition coils and spark plugs.
Install the spark plug wires with blue and green tape on the trailing side. Refer to the accompanying illustration.
Connect the spark plug wires to the spark plugs and ignition coil, as tagged during removal.
- Install the air hose.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Install the battery cover.
- Install the engine cover.