- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Place the transmission in the PARK position.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- When seated properly, the halfshaft bearing retainer circlip will snap into the differential side gear groove.
- Position the halfshaft and joint so that the splines align with differential side gear splines. Push the halfshaft into side gear.
Install or connect the following:
Halfshaft into the steering knuckle
- Check the fluid level and adjust as needed.
- Place the selector lever in NEUTRAL.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Do not loosen the rear axle wheel hub retainer until after the wheel and tire assembly are removed from the vehicle. Wheel bearing damage will occur if the wheel bearing is unloaded with the weight of the vehicle applied.
- Remove the rear brake drum or brake disc.
- Remove the rear coil spring.
- Rear axle wheel hub retainer.
- Using a puller, press the outboard CV joint until it is loose in the hub.
- Separate the outboard CV joint from the hub.
- Remove the rear axle hub assembly.
- Remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt nut.
Do not use a hammer to separate the rear axle halfshaft assembly from the hub. Damage to the threads and the internal CV joint can result.
- Using a prybar, remove the halfshaft.
- Using a puller, remove the stub and shaft seal.
- Using a slidehammer and adapter, remove the stub shaft pilot bearing and seal.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure.
- Fill the axle with the specified quantity of the specified lubricant.
Lubricate the new stub shaft pilot bearing with rear axle lubricant.
- Using suitable drivers, install the stub shaft pilot bearing.
Lubricate the new stub shaft pilot bearing housing seal with grease.
- Using the special tools, install the stub shaft pilot bearing housing seal.
- Install a new circlip on the inboard CV joint.
- Install the halfshaft end into the hub assembly.
Observe the following torques:
Lower ball joint: 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).