- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Place the transmission in the PARK position.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- When seated properly, the halfshaft bearing retainer circlip will snap into the differential side gear groove.
- Position the halfshaft and joint so that the splines align with differential side gear splines. Push the halfshaft into side gear.
Install or connect the following:
Halfshaft into the steering knuckle
- Check the fluid level and adjust as needed.
- Place the selector lever in NEUTRAL.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear brake drum or brake disc.
- Remove the rear coil spring.
- Rear axle wheel hub retainer.
- Using a puller, press the outboard CV joint until it is loose in the hub.
- Separate the outboard CV joint from the hub.
- Remove the rear axle hub assembly.
- Remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt nut.
- Using a prybar, remove the halfshaft.
- Using a puller, remove the stub and shaft seal.
- Using a slidehammer and adapter, remove the stub shaft pilot bearing and seal.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure.
- Fill the axle with the specified quantity of the specified lubricant.
- Using suitable drivers, install the stub shaft pilot bearing.
- Using the special tools, install the stub shaft pilot bearing housing seal.
- Install a new circlip on the inboard CV joint.
- Install the halfshaft end into the hub assembly.
Observe the following torques:
Lower ball joint: 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).