See Figure 1
All 1986 models use a mechanically driven fuel pump, mounted on the left front of the cylinder head, driven by the camshaft.
TESTING Pressure Test
- Disconnect the pump-to-carburetor hose at the carburetor. Connect a pressure gauge.
- Disconnect the fuel return hose from the pump and plug the pump return and the return port on the carburetor.
- Run the engine at idle and check the pressure. Pressure should be 3.9-4.4 psi. If not, replace the pump.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the outlet, inlet and return hoses at the pump.
- Unbolt and remove the pump and insulator. Discard the gaskets.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use new gaskets coated with sealer.