See Figures 1, 2 and 3
For best FM reception, adjust the antenna to a height of 31 inches. For best AM reception, extend the antenna to its full height.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1972-78 Vehicles
- Remove the ash tray, ash tray retainer and rear retainer support. Remove the heater control knobs, heater control bezel and right-hand defroster hose.
- Remove the heater control and position it to the left.
- Remove the radio chassis rear support bracket.
- Bend the bracket down 90º.
- Remove the radio knobs, attaching nuts and bezel.
- Pull the chassis forward until the control shafts clear the holes in the instrument panel. Disconnect the speaker wires, power lead and antenna lead. Rotate the chassis so that the control shafts point upward and lower the radio.
- Install the radio vertically, with the control shafts pointed upward.
- Connect the speaker wires, power lead and antenna cable.
- Slide the chassis upward and position it with the control shafts in the holes in the instrument panel.
- Install the radio attaching nuts, and control knobs.
- Bend the bracket on the dash panel back into position.
- Install the radio rear support nut to the ash tray retainer rear support.
- Install the ash tray retainer, heater control bezel and knobs, ash tray, and right-hand defroster hose.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Pull off the heater control knobs, the instrument light brightness control knob, and the radio knobs.
- Remove the ring nut and fiber washer for the brightness control. Remove the radio attaching nuts (shaft nuts). Remove the four screws from the meter hood (instrument trim panel) and remove the hood.
- Slide the radio to the left until the rear support pin clears the support bracket. Pull the radio out from the instrument panel far enough to gain access to the wires at the rear of the radio chassis.
- Disconnect the power lead, speaker leads and the antenna cable. Remove the radio.
- Connect the wires to the radio.
- Slide the radio into place. Move the radio to the left, engage the support pin with its bracket, then slide the radio to the right.
- Install the meter hood, inserting the radio shafts and heater knobs through it as it is fitted into place. Install the four retaining screws but do not tighten them yet.
- Install the washer and ring nut for the brightness control. Install the radio shaft nuts loosely. Tighten the meter hood screws, then tighten the radio shaft nuts.
- Install the knobs. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the battery ground.
- Disconnect the antenna lead, wiring and speaker connectors behind the radio.
- Remove the radio pod mounting screws and lift out the unit.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.