See Figures 1 through 6
The drive axle fluid level is checked from underneath the truck.
- Clean the dirt and grease away from the area of the filler (top) plug.
- Remove the filler plug. The lubricant level should be even with the bottom of the filler plug hole.
- If lubricant is required, use only the specified type. It will probably have to be pumped in through the filler hole. Hypoid SAE 90 lubricant usually does not pour very well.
DRAIN AND REFILL
The Mazda uses a removable carrier axle which has a drain and fill plug.
- Jack the rear of the vehicle and support it with jackstands.
- Position a suitable container under the axle drain plug. Remove the fill plug to provide a vent.
- Remove the drain plug and allow the lubricant to drain out.
Do not confuse the drain and fill plugs. The drain lug is magnetic to attract fine particles of metal which are inevitably present.
- Clean the magnetic drain plug.
- Install the drain plug.
- Fill the rear axle with the specified amount and type of fluid. Install the filler plug.
- Lower the truck to the ground and drive the truck, checking for leaks after the fluid is warm.