REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1972-84 Vehicles
The spring is under a great deal of tension! It's best to use a coil spring compressor when removing the spring. Mishandling the spring could cause it to fly out of its mounting, causing a great deal of personal damage!
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands under the frame.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the shock absorber. Install the spring compressor.
- Remove the stabilizer bar.
- Support the lower arm with a floor jack.
- Disconnect the upper and lower ball joints from the knuckle by removing the cotter pins and nuts and separating the ball joints with a ball joint separator tool.
- Remove the upper control arm as described below.
- Slowly lower the jack and remove the spring. Release the compressor to remove spring tension.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. It's best to replace springs in pairs, however, spacers are available to equalize road height.