REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1,586cc, 1,796cc, 1,970cc and 1,998cc Engines
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the accelerator linkage.
- Disconnect the choke cable and fuel line. Plug the fuel line.
Never smoke when working around gasoline! Avoid all sources of sparks or ignition. Gasoline vapors are EXTREMELY volatile!
- Disconnect the PCV valve hose.
- Disconnect the heater return hose and by-pass hose.
- Remove the intake manifold-to-cylinder head attaching nuts.
- Remove the manifold and carburetor as an assembly.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces.
- Install a new gasket and the manifold on the studs. Torque the attaching nuts to specification, working from the center outward.
- Connect the PCV valve hose to the manifold.
- Connect the by-pass and heater return hoses.
- Install the accelerator linkage.
- Connect the fuel line and choke cable.
- Replace the air cleaner.
- Fill the cooling system. Run the engine and check for leaks.
2,209cc Diesel Engine
- Remove the air inlet tube.
- Remove the vacuum sensing line.
- Bleed the fuel system and remove the injection lines. Cap the lines to prevent the entrance of dirt.
Never smoke when working around diesel fuel! Avoid all sources of sparks or ignition. Diesel fuel vapors are EXTREMELY volatile!
- Disconnect the accelerator linkage and any other hose or wire connected to the manifold.
- Remove the fuel return line.
- Unbolt and remove the manifold.
- Discard the gasket and thoroughly clean the gasket surfaces of the head and manifold.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Always use a new gasket. Torque the manifold bolts to 11-17 ft. lbs.