REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1,586cc, 1,796cc, 1,970cc, 1,998cc and 2,209cc Engines
- If so equipped, disconnect the choke cable and the air bypass valve cable.
- On carbureted models, remove the air cleaner. On fuel injected models, loosen the clamps and remove the air intake crossover.
- Disconnect the PCV valve at the cover or PCV line (diesels).
- Remove the retaining bolts and remove the cam cover.
- To install the cover, first supply new gaskets and, on the 1,998 engines, seal washers for the bolts.
- Tighten the bolts in several stages, going back and forth across the cover. You can use the torque figures given for late model engines if you want, but the important point is to tighten the bolts evenly and just until they are slightly snug.
- Once all the associated components are installed, start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Retighten the bolts. Check for leaks.