REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the rear end on jackstands.
- Remove the brake drum and shoes.
- Disconnect and plug the brake line(s) at the wheel cylinder.
- Remove the attaching nuts from behind the backing plate and remove the wheel cylinder.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Remove the wheel cylinder.
- Remove the piston and adjusting screw, then remove the boot and adjuster.
- Using compressed air in the inlet port, blow out the piston cup, expander and spring.
- Clean all parts in clean brake fluid.
- Inspect all parts for wear or damage. Replace any worn, discolored, misshapen or suspect part. The cylinder bore may be honed to remove light scoring, pitting or discoloration. If honing cannot polish the interior, discard the cylinder. Check the piston-to-bore clearance. If the clearance exceeds 0.15mm (0.0059 in.), replace the cylinder.
- Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Coat all parts in clean brake fluid before assembly.
- Install the wheel cylinder and all other parts. Bleed the system.