REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the rear of the truck on jackstands under the frame.
The rear leaf springs are under considerable tension. Be very careful when removing and installing them; they can exert enough force to cause serious injuries.
- Place a floor jack under the rear axle to take up its weight.
- Disconnect the lower end of the shock absorbers.
- Remove the spring U-bolts and plate.
- Remove the spring front bolt.
- Remove the rear shackle nuts and the shackle.
- Lift the spring from the truck.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Hand-tighten all fasteners until the truck is back on the ground. When the truck is resting on its wheels, then torque the nuts and bolts. Observe the following torques:
Spring rear shackle nuts:
Rotary pick-up: 76 ft. lbs.
All others: 58 ft. lbs.
2-wheel drive U-bolt nuts: 58 ft. lbs.Front spring pin nut:
Through 1984: 76 ft. lbs.
1986: 72 ft. lbs.
Shock absorber: 58 ft. lbs.