See the procedure for front shocks.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1972-84 Vehicles
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise and support the truck on jackstands.
- Unbolt the shock absorber at the top and bottom and remove it.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the nuts so that 6mm (0.236 in.) of thread is visible past the nut at each end of the shocks on all except the Rotary Pick-Up, or 3mm (0.118 in.) on the Rotary Pick-Up.
- Raise and support the rear end on jackstands.
- Remove the wheels.
- Unbolt the shock absorber at each end and remove it.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque each bolt to 58 ft. lbs.