REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
To remove the thermal reactor, which replaces the exhaust manifold, proceed in the following manner:
- Remove the air cleaner assembly from the carburetor.
- Unbolt and remove the air injection pump, as outlined in Emission Controls.
- Remove the intake manifold assembly, complete with carburetor.
- Remove the heat stove from the thermal reactor.
- Unfasten the thermal reactor securing nuts.
The bottom nut is difficult to reach. Mazda makes a special wrench, part number 49 2133 001, to remove it. If the wrench is unavailable, a flexible drive metric socket wrench can be substituted.
- Lift the thermal reactor away from the engine.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the nuts to 40 ft. lbs.