REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery ground.
- On the B1600, turn the horn button counterclockwise and remove it. On all other models, pull the steering wheel pad straight up to remove it, then remove the horn button and contact.
- Remove the horn contact spring.
- Matchmark the steering wheel and shaft.
- Remove the wheel attaching nut and pull the wheel with a steering wheel puller.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Align the marks and tighten the nut to 25 ft. lbs. on 1972-84 models; 35 ft. lbs. on 1986 models.
Steering wheel free-play is measured from any point on the outer circumference of the wheel. Free-play in either direction must not exceed 13-26mm (0.512-1.024 in.) on 1972-84 models and 6-19mm (0.236-0.748 in.) on 1986 models. If it does, check for:
- worn ball joints
- worn idler arm bushings
- loose wheel bearings
- worn or out-of-adjustment steering gear