REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1972-84 Vehicles
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the wiper arms and blades by removing the retaining nuts.
- Remove the rubber cap, nut, tapered spacer and rubber grommet from each pivot shaft.
- Remove the two motor and bracket retaining bolts and washers.
- Disconnect the wiper motor leads at the multiple connector.
- Remove the motor and bracket assembly. Note the position of the ground washer and the rubber washer at the bracket mounting holes. Remove the plastic water shield.
- To disconnect the motor from the bracket, remove the retaining clip that holds the linkage to the motor output arm. Note the position of the washers before removing the motor from the bracket.
- Remove the four motor-to-bracket retaining bolts and remove the motor.
- Install the wiper motor on the bracket and install the four retaining bolts.
- Install the washers and position the linkage on the motor output arm. Install the retaining clip.
- Install the plastic water shield.
- Install the motor and bracket assembly in the truck.
- Connect the multiple connector.
- Install the washers, spacers and nuts on the pivot shafts.
- Install the wiper arms and blades. Be sure the motor is in the Park position. This can be determined by cycling the motor several times. Adjust the position of the wipers. The clearance between the tips of the blades and the windshield moulding should be 20mm (0.787 in.) at park.
- Connect the battery cable and check the operation of the wipers.
- Remove the wiper arm/blade assembly. Note that the arms are different. Don't confuse them.
- Remove the rubber seal from the leading edge of the cowl.
- Unbolt and remove the cowl.
- Remove the access hole covers.
- Remove the bolts holding the wiper shaft drives.
- Matchmark the position of the wiper crank arm in relation to the face of the wiper motor. Disconnect the wiper linkage from the wiper motor crank arm.
- Remove the wiper linkage.
- Unbolt and remove the wiper motor. Disconnect the wiring harness.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure that the parked height of the wiper arms, measured from the blade tips to the windshield moulding is 20mm (0.787 in.). Torque the arm retaining nuts to 8-10 ft.lb.