All engines, except the 4.0L, are equipped with hydraulic lash adjusters located in the rocker arms. The hydraulic lash adjusters can be removed bt hand or with suitable pliers after the rocker arm/shaft assembly has been removed.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Remove the upper and lower intake manifolds.
- Remove the rocker covers.
- Remove the rocker shaft assembly.
- Remove and mark the pushrods for installation.
- Remove the tappets with a magnet. If they are to be re-used, identify them.
If the tappets are stuck in their bores, you'll need a claw-type removal tool.
- Coat the new tappets with clean engine oil and insert them in their bores.
- Coat the pushrods with heavy engine oil and insert them into the bores from which they came.
- Install the rocker shaft assembly.
- Install the rocker covers.
- Install the upper and lower manifold.