Use only a good quality brake fluid meeting DOT-3 specifications.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Check the level of the fluid in the brake master cylinder at the specified interval or more often.
- Park the truck on a level surface.
- If the vehicle is not equipped with a see through reservoir, clean all dirt from the area of the master cylinder reservoir cover.
- Remove the top from the master cylinder reservoir. Be careful when doing this. Brake fluid that is dripped on painted surfaces will quickly destroy the paint.
- The level should be maintained approximately 1 / 4 - 1 / 2 in. below the top of the reservoir. On see-through reservoirs, the fluid level should be level with the FULL mark.
- If brake fluid is needed, use only a good quality brake fluid meeting DOT-3 specifications.
- If necessary, add fluid to maintain the proper level and replace the top on the master cylinder reservoir securely.
If the fluid level is constantly low, it would be a good idea to look into the matter. This is a good indication of problems elsewhere in the system.