REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the wheel lug nuts and remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the retainer washers from the lug nut studs and remove the automatic locking hub assembly from the spindle.
- Remove the snapring from the end of the spindle shaft.
- Remove the axle shaft spacer.
- Being careful not to damage the plastic moving cam or thrust spacers, pull the cam assembly off the wheel bearing adjusting nut. Remove the 2 plastic thrust spacers from the adjusting nut.
- Using a magnet, remove the locking key. It may be necessary to rotate the adjusting nut slightly to relieve the pressure against the locking key, before the key can be removed.
To prevent damage to the spindle threads, look into the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut and remove the separate locking key before removing the adjusting nut.
- Loosen the wheel bearing adjusting nut from the spindle.
- While rotating the hub and rotor assembly, tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) to seat the bearings. Spin the rotor and back off the nut one-quarter turn.
- Retighten the adjusting nut to 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm) using a torque wrench. Align the closest hole in the wheel bearing adjusting nut with the center of the spindle keyway slot. Advance the nut to the next lug if required. Install the separate locking key in the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut.
Extreme care must be taken when aligning the spindle nut adjustment lug with the center of the spindle keyway slot to prevent damage to the separate locking key.
- Install the 2 thrust spacers. Push or press the cam assembly onto the locknut by lining up the key in the fixed cam with the spindle keyway.
Extreme care must be taken when aligning the fixed cam key with the spindle keyway to prevent damage to the fixed cam.
- Install the axle shaft spacer.
- Clip the snapring onto the end of the spindle.
- Install the automatic locking hub assembly over the spindle by lining up the 3 legs in the hub assembly with the 3 pockets in the cam assembly. Install the retainer washers.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly. Check the endplay of the wheel and tire assembly on the spindle. Final endplay should be 0-0.003 in. (0-0.08mm). The maximum torque to rotate the hub should be 25 inch lbs. (2.8 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.