REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
REAR WHEEL DRIVE
See Figure 1
- Loosen the wheel lugs slightly. Raise the front of the vehicle and place jackstands under the frame and a jack under the axle. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the nut attaching the shock absorber to radius arm and slide the shock absorber off of the mounting stud. Remove the nut securing the lower retainer to spring seat. Remove the lower retainer.
- Lower the axle as far as it will go without stretching the brake hose and tube assembly. The axle should now be unsupported without hanging by the brake hose. If not, then either remove the caliper or use a Strut Spring Compressor Tool. Remove the spring.
- If there is a lot of slack in the brake hose assembly, a pry bar can be used to lift the spring over the bolt that passes through the lower spring seat.
- Rotate the spring so the built-in retainer on the upper spring seat is cleared.
- Remove the spring from the vehicle.
- If removed, install the bolt in the axle arm and install the nut all the way down. Install the spring lower seat and lower insulator. Install the stabilizer bar mounting bracket and spring spacer.
- With the axle in the lowest position, install the top of the spring in the upper seat. Rotate the spring into position.
- Lift the lower end of the spring over the bolt.
- Raise the axle slowly until the spring is seated in the lower spring upper seat. Install the lower retainer and nut. Tighten the nut to 70-100 ft. lbs. (95-136 Nm).
- Install the shock absorber. Tighten the lower mounting nut to 39-53 ft. lbs. (53-72 Nm).
- Install the front wheels. Remove the jack and jackstands and lower vehicle.
See Figure 2
- Raise the vehicle and install jackstands under the frame. Position a jack beneath the spring under the axle. Raise the jack and compress the spring.
- Remove the nut retaining the shock absorber to the radius arm. Slide the shock out from the stud.
- Remove the nut that retains the spring to the axle and radius arm. Remove the retainer.
- Slowly lower the axle until all spring tension is released and adequate clearance exists to remove the spring from its mounting.
- Remove the spring by rotating the upper coil out of the tabs in the upper spring seat. Remove the spacer and the seat.
- If required, remove the stud from the axle assembly.
- If removed, install the stud on the axle and torque to 190-230 ft. lbs. Install the lower seat and spacer over the stud.
- Place the spring in position and slowly raise the front axle. Ensure springs are positioned correctly in the upper spring seats.
- Position the spring lower retainer over the stud and lower seat and torque the attaching nut to 70-100 ft. lbs.
- Position the shock absorber to the lower stud and install the attaching nut. Tighten the nut to 41-63 ft. lbs. Lower the vehicle.