Only MPV models utilize a MacPherson-type strut front suspension.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Support the lower control arm with a jack.
- Remove the clip attaching the brake hose to the strut and disconnect the hose from the strut.
- Remove the strut-to-knuckle attaching bolts and nuts.
- Working in the engine compartment, remove the 4 attaching nuts from the strut tower and remove the strut assembly from the vehicle. If necessary, remove any components that can hinder the removal of the strut mounting nuts.
- If the strut must be disassembled, or the coil spring removed, refer to the overhaul procedure later in this section.
- Assemble the strut according to the overhaul procedure, if necessary.
- Install the strut assembly in the strut tower, making sure the white mark on the upper mounting block is in the front-inside direction. Install the attaching nuts and tighten to 34-46 ft. lbs. (47-62 Nm).
- Install the strut to the knuckle and tighten the attaching bolts and nuts to 69-86 ft. lbs. (93-117 Nm).
- Position the brake hose on the strut and install the clip. Remove the jack from under the lower control arm.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle. Check the front end alignment.
See Figures 9 through 18
- Secure the strut assembly firmly in a bench vise. Remove the rubber cap from the upper mounting block. Loosen the upper attaching nut, but do not remove it.
- Install a suitable spring compressor and compress the coil spring.
- Remove the upper attaching nut and slowly relieve the tension on the coil spring, using the spring compressor. When the spring is no longer under tension, remove the spring compressor.
- Remove the upper mounting block, upper spring seat, spring seat, coil spring, bump stopper and ring rubber from the strut.
- Apply a suitable rubber grease to the ring rubber and install it on the bump stopper. Install the bump stopper on the strut.
- Attach the spring compressor to the coil spring and compress the spring.
- Install the compressed spring on the strut and install the spring seat.
- Install the upper spring seat. The flat of the strut rod must fit correctly into the upper spring seat.
- Install the upper mounting block. Install and loosely tighten the upper attaching nut.
- Remove the spring compressor. Make sure the spring is properly seated in the upper and lower spring seats.
- Secure the upper spring seat in a vise and tighten the upper attaching nut to 47-59 ft. lbs. (64-80 Nm). Install the rubber cap on the upper mounting block.