REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose.
- Disconnect the fuel return hose.
- Unbolt and remove the unit.
- Install in the reverse order. Tighten the bolts to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
Refer to Fuel Charging Assembly Removal and Installation procedure above.4.0L Engine
See Figure 2
- Depressurize the fuel system.
The fuel system is under pressure. Release pressure slowly and contain spillage. Observe no smoking/no open flame precautions. Have a Class B-C (dry powder) fire extinguisher within arm's reach at all times.
- Remove the vacuum and fuel lines at the pressure regulator.
- Remove the 2 or 3 Allen retaining screws from the regulator housing.
- Remove the pressure regulator assembly, gasket and O-ring. Discard the gasket and check the O-ring for signs of cracks or deterioration.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces. If scraping is necessary, be careful not to damage the fuel pressure regulator or supply line gasket mating surfaces.
- Lubricate the pressure regulator O-ring with light engine oil. Do not use silicone grease; it will clog the injectors.
- Install the O-ring and a new gasket on the pressure regulator.
- Install the pressure regulator on the fuel manifold and tighten the retaining screws to 6-8 ft. lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Install the vacuum and fuel lines at the pressure regulator. Build up fuel pressure by turning the ignition switch ON and OFF at least 6 times, leaving the ignition on for at least 5 seconds each time. Check for fuel leaks.