- Cancel the memory of malfunctions by disconnecting the negative battery cable and depressing the brake pedal for at least twenty seconds. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Connect the Self-Diagnosis Checker at the check connector. Ground the green one pin test connector using a suitable jumper wire.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine for at least six seconds.
- Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperatures. Run the engine at 2000 rpm for two minutes. Check that no codes are displayed.
- Run the Self-Test for the output system being used: Super Star II, analog voltmeter, or dash light.
- When the service codes start to be displayed the codes will be cleared when the Test button is unlatched on the Super Star II tester. For the other retrieval methods the codes will be cleared when the jumper is removed between the Self-Test Input connector and the Signal Return pin of the Self-Test connector.
- Disconnect the Super Star II tester or voltmeter.
The Keep Alive Memory will be erased when the negative battery cable is disconnected. Keep the cable off for a minimum of 5 minutes. When the cable is connected and the vehicle driven, it may exhibit some drivability problems for the first 10 miles (16 km) or so. This is due to the relearning process where the ECA memorizes values needed for optimum drivability.