REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine fan/clutch assembly and shroud.
- Remove the accessory drive belt(s).
- On those engines with a separate damper and pulley, remove the retaining bolts, then separate the crankshaft damper from the pulley.
- Remove the pulley-to-crankshaft bolt and washer.
- If necessary, use a puller tool to remove the damper/pulley from the crankshaft.
- If equipped, remove the crankshaft key.
On MPV models equipped with the 3.0L engine, the crankshaft position sensor rotor is on the rear of the damper/pulley and can be easily damaged.
- Inspect the front cover seal and replace if necessary.
On 3.0L (B Series Pick-up) and 4.0L engines, perform the following:
- Coat the rubbing surface of the damper/pulley with clean engine oil.
- Apply a small amount of RTV sealant to the damper keyway groove.
- On the B Series Pick-up with the 3.0L engine, use a crankshaft damper installation tool to press the damper onto the crankshaft. Install and tighten the retaining bolt to 93-121 ft. lbs. (125-165 Nm).
Never hammer on the damper to install it.
Install the crankshaft pulley. Tighten the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt(s) to the following specifications:
4.0L engine: 30-37 ft. lbs. (40-50 Nm), plus an additional 80-90°
- Install the accessory drive belt(s).
- Install the engine fan/clutch assembly and the shroud.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Run the engine and check for oil leaks.