See Figure 1
- As required, raise and support the vehicle using jackstands.
- Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft using tool T64P-3590-F or equivalent.
- Disconnect and cap the fluid return line at the reservoir return line pipe.
- Place the end of the return line in a clean container and turn the steering wheel from stop to stop several times to discharge the fluid from the gear. Discard the used fluid.
- Turn the steering gear 45° from the right stop.
- Remove the steering wheel hub cover. Attach an inch lb. torque wrench to the steering wheel nut and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft slowly about 1 / 8 turn from the 45° position toward center.
- Turn the steering wheel back to center and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft back and forth across the center position.
- Specification for vehicles under 5000 miles is 12-24 inch lbs. If the vehicle has over 5000 miles, reset the meshload measured while rocking the input shaft over center is less than 10 inch lbs. greater than torque 45° from the right stop.
- If reset is required loosen the adjuster locknut and turn the sector shaft adjuster screw until the reading is the specified value greater than the torque at 45° from the stop. Hold the sector shaft screw in place and tighten the locknut.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the pressure and return lines from the steering gear. Plug the lines and the ports in the gear to prevent entry of dirt.
- Remove the upper and lower steering gear shaft U-joint shield from the flex coupling. Remove the bolts that secure the flex coupling to the steering gear and to the column steering shaft assembly.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the pitman arm attaching nut and washer.
- Remove the pitman arm from the sector shaft using tool T64P-3590-F. Remove the tool from the pitman arm. Do not damage the seals.
- Support the steering gear, and remove the steering gear attaching bolts.
- Work the steering gear free of the flex coupling. Remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Install the lower U-joint shield onto the steering gear lugs. Slide the upper U-joint shield into place on the steering shaft assembly.
- Slide the flex coupling into place on the steering shaft assembly. Turn the steering wheel so that the spokes are in the horizontal position. Center the steering gear input shaft.
- Slide the steering gear input shaft into the flex coupling and into place on the frame side rail. Install the attaching bolts and tighten to 50-62 ft. lbs. (68-84 Nm). Tighten the flex coupling bolt 30-40 ft. lbs. (41-54 Nm).
- Be sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position, then install the pitman arm on the sector shaft. Install the pitman arm attaching washer and nut. Tighten nut to 170-228 ft. lbs. (230-310 Nm).
- Connect and tighten the pressure and the return lines to the steering gear.
- Disconnect the coil wire. Fill the reservoir. Turn on the ignition and turn the steering wheel from left to right to distribute the fluid.
- Recheck fluid level and add fluid, if necessary. Connect the coil wire, start the engine and turn the steering wheel from side to side. Inspect for fluid leaks.