Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Clamp the chain to the camshaft gear and cover the opening of the timing chain case.
- Separate the chain with a chain breaker.
- Attach a new timing chain (5) to the old chain (4) with a master link (6), center plate (7) and end plate (8). Using a socket wrench on the crankshaft, slowly rotate the engine in the direction of normal rotation. Simultaneously, pull the old chain through until the master link is uppermost on the camshaft sprocket (9). Be sure to keep tension on the chain throughout this procedure.
- Disconnect the old timing chain and connect the ends of the new chain with the master link. Insert the new connecting link from the rear so the lockwashers can be seen from the front.
- Rotate the engine until the timing marks align. Check the valve timing.
Install or connect the following:
Engine timing covers
- Start the engine and check operation.