Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Make sure the wipers are in the parked position. Mark the position of the blades on the windshield using a grease pencil.
- Remove the wiper arms by prying off the cover cap. Loosen the mounting nut but do not unscrew completely yet. Gently move the wiper arm up and down until it can be removed from the wiper arm shaft. Now unscrew the mounting nut completely and pull wiper arms off.
- Remove the rubber seal from the panel on the cowl. Remove the metal clips and the securing nuts, then remove the panel.
- Remove the nuts securing the wiper assembly. Lift the assembly up, then detach the electrical connection from the motor.
- If necessary to remove the motor, remove the nut on the motor shaft, then remove the bolts securing the motor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the wiper motor bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm). Tighten the motor shaft nut to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm). Tighten the wiper assembly mounting bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm), except on SLK. On SLK, tighten it to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm). If using a new motor, make sure it is in the park position before installing it. This can be done by connecting the motor to the harness and cycling the wiper switch. Once parked, it can be installed to the wiper assembly.