REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect ground connecting line on battery.
- Drain fuel tank. Carefully pump off fuel, so that no residual fuel remains in fuel tank.
- Remove trunk floor and intermediate shelf.
- Pull off coupler for the fuel gauge.
- Loosen hose clips on vent lines, pull off hoses, tightly close lines and hoses.
- Loosen the hose clamps on front and the return line, pull off both hoses on the fuel tank and catch residual fuel in the hose. Tightly close the hoses and the filler neck.
- Loosen the hose clamp and then pull off vent hose. Close hose and filler neck.
- Unscrew the fastening nuts and then remove the fuel tank in a downward direction.
Install fuel tank in vice versa sequence and proceed as follows:
- Glue foam rubber strip on fuel tank at level of filler neck crosswise to driving direction.
Never use felt or similar material, since otherwise corrosion damage may result.
- Blow out the filter and check for damage. Renew the sealing ring. Install the fuel filter and tighten the retainers to 35-43 Nm.
- Be sure to install the fuel tank with specified reinforcing plates and washers. Tighten the self-locking fastening nuts to 26-34 Nm.
- Install the vent hose between the fuel tank and the filler neck free of kinks and with a continuous slope toward fuel tank.
The slipped-on O-ring serves for sealing at passage to interior.
- Pay attention to the correct seat of the sleeves on filler neck.
- Renew any damaged fuel hoses.
- Check the operation of the fuel gauge (ground the connection line on the battery connected).
- Check the fuel system for leaks.
See Figure 1